Saturday, August 29, 2009

9 weeks down and 9 to go....

Well I did not get to bed as early as  I would have liked....I still woke up at 6....although it took me until 6:15 to drag myself out of bed. I had 10 miles on tap, and I was looking forward to getting out there and pushing last Saturday out of my mind.

It was quite brisk out.  I can tell that fall really wants to sneak into Laramie early this year. During my few block walk, I noticed my right knee was a little sore. Considering how the IT Band problems started in my left knee, this gave me some cause for concern. Oddly enough though, after I was about a mile and a half in, the soreness went away and never returned.

The first mile felt like it took forever today. I needed to get my blood moving to warm up, and it just felt like an eternity. I was listening to ESPN radio on my arm band and really enjoying it. They have a guy, Erik Kuselias, that used to be on every day in the afternoons, then tried to transition to tv and is now back on the weekends. I really enjoy his thoughts and humor, and actually listened for the first three miles. The reason I am sharing this, is when I listen to sports talk, my pace drops fairly significantly. This is something that would get under my skin a little bit, because I really wanted a 10 min/mile pace for this run.

The first 5 miles were pretty uneventful. I did not see many people out, which is strange for the first weekend back in session. I think there must have been quite a bit a late night enjoyment. When I looked down and saw I was more than 2 minutes slower than my goal pace, I decided to kick it up a notch. I was very surprised with how easily it was to put it in a higher gear (for me, for most legit runners I am still at a jog). By the end of the ten miles, I had not only reached my goal pace, but was in fact 1 minute and 27 seconds ahead. This made me really happy.  My time ended up 1 hr 38 mins and 33 secs.

Overall, the run was really good. The last mile was hard, but it generally is. It was a nice way to finish up the first half of my training schedule. I am debating going out for a light/slow run to loosen up my muscles tomorrow morning. Hope you all have a wonderful weekend and thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment